Just in time for Christmas! Looking for a simple, vegan & gluten-free cookie recipe for all those holiday gatherings? Well look no further!
These Vegan Almond Snowballs are just the thing!
I had come across this recipe for Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies that sounded awesome AND super simple. Plus, it looked like an easy enough recipe to veganize! I didn't quite have all the ingredients either, so I came up with my own version inspired by these classic treats. Hope you enjoy them, we sure did! And my non-vegan, non-gluten-free family and friends had no idea they weren't made with butter, eggs or wheat.
- 1 cup Earth Balance shortening
- 2 cup GF flour - I used 1 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup spelt flour & 1/2 GF All Purpose Flour blend (you can also use regular flour if you're not GF)
- 3/4 - 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (omit if your flour blend already has it)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (you can use maple syrup or honey if desired)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto (optional) or use more almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 c. almonds chopped
- Powdered sugar
- Cream shortening.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Roll mixture into small balls and roll into powdered sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 300 degree oven.
- Roll in powdered sugar while hot and again when cold.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies. These cookies are light and crunchy and oh so Almond-y! They would be lovely made with coconut or other nuts as well. Keep them in an airtight container and they freeze well too... if they last that long!