So in case you haven't noticed, I like to cook! Now, I'm not a Chef by any means, but I do enjoy getting my hands dirty in the kitchen. But with kids and work and life in general, I find that I don't have as much time in the kitchen as I would like. Which means, time is of the essence.
So I like to work faster, not harder when I'm cooking up a storm. Over the years I have acquired many kitchen gadgets. Some I use almost daily, and others are collecting dust in a cupboard or I have passed on to someone else. There's been a lot of trial and error, but what I have come up with is my Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets list that will make cooking a whole lot simpler. So here it goes.
My Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets
- Vitamix - yes, this piece of equipment is very near and dear to my heart. I have had mine for probably close to 7 years and it's still going strong. After burning out many cheapo blenders, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Vitamix. This high-powered blender kicks some serious butt! From smoothies to hummus, cashew sour cream to soup, I can blend/puree just about anything in minutes. Definitely worth every penny! I even grabbed the Dry Container to use for making my own flours and powders.
- Omega Juicer - this was a gift from my husband when I said I wanted a juicer. And boy did he get me a juicer! Now this gadget is pretty impressive with a strong motor, amazing warranty and the ability to make other things (nut butters, nut milks and even pasta!) My Omega Juicer tackles just about every fruit and vegetable out there. Even greens can be juiced with very little waste. What I like about this juicer is that it's low speed and masticating. But what does that mean? Well... you're not destroying all those healthy vitamins and enzymes with an appliance that generates heat as it juices. So you're keeping all those lovely fruits and veggies raw and the extraction is amazing meaning that you're not losing a whole bunch of juice in the pulp.
- Crockpot - yep, a good old crock-pot is a life saver in the kitchen. I use this guy a few times a week. I love being able to throw a bunch of stuff in my slow cooker and not have to worry about it until dinner time. Chili, curry, spaghetti sauce, soups and stews are staples around here. Plus, not having to watch a pot constantly means more time for me to do other things. I even use it for desserts and fruit butters! I love this Crockpot because it's large enough to make dishes that will feed us a couple times. I mean, if you're going to cook, you gotta make sure there's leftovers, right?! And as far as gadgets go, this one is super budget friendly and easy to use. A definite must-have!
- Sprializer - man this thing is a lot of fun! This gadget has been amazing at increasing our veggie intake. The kids love the cute curls and twirls and it makes eating carrots, beets and zucchini so much more fun! Plus, you look like a total kitchen master when you serve up a salad with beautiful veggie spirals on it. Now this Spiralizer is a pretty entry-level one, but it's perfect for what I use it for. I definitely suggest starting with a basic one before splurging on a big one. What are some of my favorite things to make with it? Well, veggie noodles to start! Zucchini, sweet potato, rutabaga are just a few of our faves. And once you've made your noodles, a quick sautee to soften them and then serve with your favourite sauce. It's a super simple way to cut down on carbs and increase your veggies. I also love doing carrots & beets for salads. And baking ribbons of potatoes makes delicious homemade chips!
- Dehydrator - not even kidding! My dehydrator is a pretty sweet addition to my kitchen arsenal. It's super easy to use and a wonderful way to make lots of awesome healthy snacks and foods. The kale chips alone are worth it! Whether you're looking to go raw, or just want to make your own unprocessed snacks, a food dehydrator is a great way to go. I love it for drying my own herbs, making fruit roll ups, veggie chips and crackers. Plus, it's a great way to incorporate more whole foods into your life.
Now, there are tons more gadgets out there, but these are the ones that I have and use on a regular basis. Could I live with out them? Probably. Would I want to? Definitely NOT!
Have you got a favorite gadget? Let me know what makes life easier for you in the kitchen, so I can check it out!