It's January, a new year and new resolutions and I'm sure lots of people (myself included) are trying a little detox from the holidays. Maybe a body reset to clear all those cookies, treats, drinks and snacks from your body. Or perhaps you're just wanting to feel a little happier and lighter?
Now whether you're doing a juice cleanse, a food cleanse or just cutting out some of your favourite indulgences, the detox process can be a little unpleasant to say the least. So here's my top 5 tips to help get through your cleanse and on to a happier, less-toxic you!
5 Ways to Survive your Detox
- Water - wow, I can't stress this enough! Water, water and more water. If you are doing a cleanse you need to flush those toxins from your system and the best way to do that is with lots of water. Start your day with 2 cups of water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed into it to boost that liver detox.
- Rest - yes, you will need rest. As your body goes through the detoxification process it releases lots of icky stuff from your cells. And as those toxins get released they can cause some unpleasant side effects. Can you say tired, cranky, headaches and mood swings? So if you are feeling like you're dragging your butt, than take that cue from your body and take a break. Have a nap, put your feet up for 20 minutes and give yourself a few moments to recharge. Detoxing is hard work!
- Tea Time - depending on what type of program you are doing you most likely will be reducing your food intake, or altering it significantly. So stock up on some yummy herbal (non-caffeinated) teas. Having a big mug of hot delicious tea can really help stave off those cravings and a lot of the herbal teas also contain ingredients that aid in the detox process. Look for all-natural, caffeine-free and preferably organic teas.
- Support - one of the hardest things about doing a cleanse is doing it alone. Team up with a friend and tackle the challenge! That way you can support each other but also have someone who knows exactly what you're going through. Don't have a buddy? Try finding a support network online instead. The Internet is full of various groups and message boards for everything and it's a great way to ask questions, get feedback or vent.
- Exercise - now that may be the last thing you feel like doing starting a cleanse, but getting moving can really help your body and mind through the detox process. Even if it's just a walk outside, getting your body moving and your lymphatic system pumping will help get those toxins moving out of your system. Breaking a sweat is a great way to get rid of more of those nasties and it's also great for helping with any irritability, moodiness or crankiness.
So who's doing a cleanse or detoxification this month? How's it going? What has been your biggest struggle?